About Me

My photo
We are now in Oz after two amazing years of traveling Europe in our home built plane. We met many fantastic people who we are proud to call friends and have gained a much better understanding of the similarities and differences between the cultures of the different European states as well as the history and geography that have lead to these differences. We enjoy meeting people with similar interests to ourselves and learning more about other cultures. Please let us know if you're going to be in Queensland and would like to catch up for a meal and a chat.

Saturday 28 April 2012

Dresden's Frauenkirche viewed from above and below

Sorry about the recent break, my internet allowance ran out for the month and my phone's data connection was too slow to upload photos...  So here are two photos at once.


Dresden has a long history.  When you look at these beautiful baroque buildings you wouldn't guess that the city was flattened in an ah controversial air attack in 1945.  

Despite the communist party's dislike of kings, capitalists and religion, surprisingly many of Dresden's beautiful buildings were rebuilt under communist rule, according to the desire of the local citizens.  I always thought that the communist party was much more repressive than this, but maybe this was just the case for the difficult city, Berlin, and maybe communist repression was otherwise exaggerated to some extent in the anti communist children's books of my youth.

The Frauenkirche (church of our lady) was not amongst those buildings picked for rebuilding first.  I think this was more to do with money than politics though.  Upon reunification a worldwide private subscription drive raised the millions necessary to leave it looking several hundred years old again.


Dresden's Frauenkirche from the air

And from the ground.  Sometimes I wish I'd had one of those fancy DSLRs with massive lenses on our trip so that I could get as good a quality shot from the air as from the ground.  I just keep telling myself that it probably would have taken me the 2 years to get good photos from it while moving anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment