About Me

My photo
We are now in Oz after two amazing years of traveling Europe in our home built plane. We met many fantastic people who we are proud to call friends and have gained a much better understanding of the similarities and differences between the cultures of the different European states as well as the history and geography that have lead to these differences. We enjoy meeting people with similar interests to ourselves and learning more about other cultures. Please let us know if you're going to be in Queensland and would like to catch up for a meal and a chat.

Friday 2 July 2010

Flight testing finished!

It took a little while due to some silly little things like my having dropped the bundy bushes out of one of the flaps in the test & trim again phase (which meant that it was really hard to land as the flaps are like flying brakes).  And wouldn't you know it that the only bolts I didn't tighten, because I thought they'd be coming out again, were the only bolts that weren't taken out 4 times in the course of testing, grrrr.

Anyway it's all finished now and flying well - apparently our fuselage is very straight (which I would like to take credit for, but can't honestly do so).  Gary who did the flight testing took me out as an observer for one of the flights, & we flew over the Welney bird hide, around Ely cathedral which somehow looks quite different from the air, and up to the Denver lock.  The system of canals around Norfolk is quite amazing, dug out around 1760 by a Dutchman, as before that the land was swampy.  I met a lovely couple on a sourdough bread making course at the Denver Windmill, Dov and Rebecca, who spend 4-5 months each year touring England on their narrowboat and who explained all about the canal system.

I have a couple of lovely photos of the windmill as seen past a barley field with poppies poking out amongst the grain, which I will add at some point I hope.  Apologies if I've gone all Denglish today, I've been working on places to go in Germany.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Helen, this is Bertha. It is great to read you are on your way. I envy you guys so much of the views you have got from East Anglia. It sounds amazing. Well, no honestly I deeply thank you for having this blog as my imagination flies along with you thrying to think on what you see and what you feel on this dream become true.

    ReplyDelete