About Me

My photo
We are now in Oz after two amazing years of traveling Europe in our home built plane. We met many fantastic people who we are proud to call friends and have gained a much better understanding of the similarities and differences between the cultures of the different European states as well as the history and geography that have lead to these differences. We enjoy meeting people with similar interests to ourselves and learning more about other cultures. Please let us know if you're going to be in Queensland and would like to catch up for a meal and a chat.

Monday 6 September 2010

Essential travel kit: my Garmin Edge 605

Without which I would be literally lost.  Now that I've discovered that I can actually type in addresses and search for local museums and get directed there it's functionality for me has greatly increased.  The only problem?  Garmin has recently brought out the new Edge 800, touch screen, faster, lighter & better looking....
Garmin Edge 605
vs the new Garmin Edge 800
More seriously though the things that bug me about the 605:  it can be a bit slow to find satellites
it's way too slow in recalculating routes.
There were only major roads on the GPS before I purchased the Europe NT map set, so do consider the approx £80 of the map cost as part of the package cost when contemplating purchase of this GPS.  I did consider getting just the UK maps, but I have used everywhere from Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, France, Germany and I wouldn't be without it.  Of course with only basic software I had the impression that the machine ran faster.  I bought the maps in the CD format rather than SD card.  I'm not sure if the SD would have been faster because it's not on the hardware, but with the CD I can plan routes on my computer (which I never do) and I could also just put one country on the GPS at a time if I were organised.

No comments:

Post a Comment