About Me

My photo
We are now in Oz after two amazing years of traveling Europe in our home built plane. We met many fantastic people who we are proud to call friends and have gained a much better understanding of the similarities and differences between the cultures of the different European states as well as the history and geography that have lead to these differences. We enjoy meeting people with similar interests to ourselves and learning more about other cultures. Please let us know if you're going to be in Queensland and would like to catch up for a meal and a chat.

Wednesday 24 November 2010

Rothenburg odT tourist magnet extraordinaire

Many people agree that Rothenburg odT is a pretty special place with its entire medieval city walls and half timbered houses: Japanese tourists; myself; Hitler.  So given that it has a little airfield owned by the aeroclub that is 3.6km from town I really had to take Julian there to see it.

My prior knowledge of how Rothenburg tour busses operate meant that the first thing we did after tying down and putting up our tent was to go into town (at about 6pm) and have a look at it in the magical hour and a half when the tourists had gone but there was still light.

Nice gate
So pretty, I think because the old town is so large and so homogenous in style.





The next morning I woke up and my foot wouldn't fit in my shoe.  Too much bike riding you say?


He was very cute, normally I would have liked to keep him, but...  I think he was feeling it too, as he was surprisingly difficult to get rid of, each time Julian (I didn't want him to run into the tent) shook him down into the heel he scurried straight back up into the toe.

We went back into town to see what 'where everyday is Christmas' (Kathe Wohlfahrt stores) is really like in the daylight.

much better at night, right?
There were heaps of fantastic apple & pear trees on the way to Rothenburg


oops

Of course we couldn't continue being so lucky with the weather in late September, so the following morning it was still drizzling when we finally dared venture outside the tent at 10am.  We wandered over to the showers, me in my thongs (flip-flops for you English people!), to be met by a most concerned gentleman, 'Das kann ich nicht mit ansehen dass Sie bei diesem Wetter zelten, Sie mussen zu mir nach Hause kommen' (rough translation - I can't watch you tent in this weather, you have to come stay with me), my motto for this trip has been to say 'yes' to anything offered and make more friends and learn more about different cultures, so I of course said 'YES, that would be lovely'.  Which is how we ended up staying with the most lovely Dr Peter Bittner for a couple of days.

Singin' in the rain at Langenburg, home of the famous Wibele (tiny meringue like thingies, mmmmm yum)
 Peter took us to see many pretty local towns and the little things that are what make an area really nice, that only residents know about.  (Local pubs, crypts, Jugendstil churches and of course cake shops - he seems to have got my measure very quickly)

Julian & Peter in his kitchen
Really nice internal door handles, I wonder if I could make such things myself with a little blacksmithing course?


This is a really fabulous art installation in a castle that is now a retirement home / artists colony - you let ball bearings run through the nails creating music.

We of course had to experience the local brewery


One thing I particularly liked about this crypt was the different tops on the columns (not so many to be seen in this picutre)


No comments:

Post a Comment